Sunday, December 9, 2007

Ancient Grain Cereal

I'm feeling bored with the task of mimicking the childcare center menus. The same menus are recycled every week and California vegetables or some closely related mix of frozen vegetables are served at least two but usually three times a week. I wonder if the children are bored? I wonder if Caroline is bored? This weekend, I tried to mix things up a bit by introducing Caroline to some new ancient grains. I made hot cereal on Saturday morning using toasted barley, millet, and oats. I ground the grains in my Cusinart Mini-prep and cooked them up in 3 cups of boiling water for every 1 cup of grains. I also added a handful of raisins. I cooked the grains and raisins (covered) over low heat for about 40 minutes - enough time for the oats and millet to soften and the raisins to plump up. The barley, though cooked, added a nice chewy texture to the cereal. Before serving, I added a touch of honey (from Craig's Hilltop Honey in Lansing), whole milk, and a pinch of nutmeg. Caroline loved her new ancient grain cereal!

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, December 10: Breakfast - ancient grain cereal, pearsauce; Lunch - mushroom and chard lasagna, peas (frozen, Cascadian Farm); Snacks - whole milk yogurt, blueberries (frozen from Walton Orchards)

Childcare Center Menu, December 10: Breakfast - orange juice, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Golden Grahams; Lunch - turkey lasagna, mixed vegetables, raisins; Snacks - yogurt, crackers

Childcare Center Menu, December 10:

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)