Sunday, January 27, 2008

Frozen Peaches!

I feel like I struck a gold mine. I thought that I used up the last of my preserved Queen's Lace peaches from last summer on January 24th, but when I was digging around my deep freezer this weekend, I found two sandwich-size containers of sliced peaches! I froze a few pounds of peaches last summer as an experiment to compare the flavor, color, and texture of the canned versus frozen fruit. Freezing is so much easier than canning (and less time consuming, too) but it takes up valuable space in my deep freezer. It still needs to thaw so I haven't tasted the fruit but they're packed in a clear container so I can see that they still have the cream- and peach-colored flesh they did on the day that I sliced them up back in August.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu: Breakfast - O's, grapefruit; Lunch - chard and mushroom lasagna, cauliflower (frozen, Stahlbush Island Farms), corn (frozen, Titus Farms); Snacks - whole milk plain yogurt, Queen's Lace peaches (frozen last summer, Appleschram Organic Orchards), whole wheat graham crackers

Childcare Center Menu: Breakfast - orange juice, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Golden Grahams; Lunch - enchiladas, corn, green beans, bananas; Snacks - yogurt, peaches, crackers

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)