Monday, January 21, 2008

BRAT

On Sunday morning, Caroline vomited after drinking about 4 ounces of milk. I thought the milk just went down the wrong way so when she asked for more milk, I gave it to her. She drank two more ounces and then vomited again. You'd think I'd learn after the second time, but when she asked for milk a third time, I gave it to her. And...she vomited again. I was worried that she would become dehydrated so I gave her some water. Vomit, vomit, vomit. By 10:00 that morning, she vomited so many times that I lost track. We called the doctor who told us not to give her any milk or water and to wait at least an hour before giving her anything else to drink. After an hour, she recommended giving Caroline 1/2 teaspoon of Pedialyte, an oral electrolyte maintenance solution, every 5 minutes for the first hour and then soy milk or more Pedialyte for the next 6-8 hours. After that? BRAT - bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. It's been a full day and Caroline seems like she has fully recovered. Pedialyte has officially made it to my list of pantry "must-haves." After a vomiting spell, I like to go easy on my stomach for a couple of days by eating bland, easily digestible foods. So, I am ignoring tomorrow's menu - spaghetti with ground turkey sauce - and packing Caroline's lunch with BRAT foods...and chicken noodle soup, the other instant cure-all.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, January 22: Breakfast - 100% whole grain toast, apple sauce; Lunch - chicken noodle soup, rice; Snacks - banana

Childcare Center Menu, January 22: Breakfast - apple juice, Cheerios, Life, Rice Krispies; Lunch - spaghetti with ground turkey sauce, mixed vegetables, banana; Snacks - graham crackers, cucumbers

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)