Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It's That Time of Year

I survived the grilled cheese challenge and since there were no leftovers in Caroline's lunchbox today, I'm assuming that I passed. But I have a bigger challenge ahead of me for the next 5 months -- eating in-season in Michigan. Yes, it's that time of year when nothing at the grocery store seems to be grown nearby except for bok choy and carrots from Giving Tree Farm, apples from Appleschram Organic Orchard and the occasional storage vegetable. I canned, froze, and dried fruits and vegetables all summer but these will not get us through the winter. We have a lot of corn, green beans, tomatoes, pesto, blueberries, tart cherries, shallots, and garlic but we're down to our last 5 pints of Queen's Lace peaches. So, this is the time of year when I emphasize the "as possible" in my family's goal to eat as close to home as possible and when domestic organic fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables make their way to our refrigerator. Ironically though, Caroline's lunch tomorrow is full of local foods - eggs from Flying Goat Farm in Mason, bok choy, pesto, tomatoes, and peaches.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, November 29: Breakfast - mixed grain cereal, peaches; Lunch - bok choy, brown and white rice with pesto, egg, and tomatoes; Snacks - sweet potatoes

Childcare Center Menu, Novemeber 29: Breakfast - French toast sticks, peaches; Lunch - cheesy rice, mixed vegetables, pears; Snacks - sweet potatoes

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)