Sunday, April 6, 2008

Red Beets - Spring is Finally Here!

Spring is really here! We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend here in Lansing, Michigan with blue skies, warm, sunny, perfect spring weather. On Saturday, locally grown beets were available at the East Lansing Food Co-op! I bought two bunches of beautiful red beets with their leaves attached. Tonight, I made beet (with their greens) risotto for dinner and it was delicious. I served it with broiled tilapia (seasoned with minced garlic, salt, white wine, lemon juice) and corn from Titus Farms that I froze last summer. Caroline liked the fish and loved the corn...but the beet risotto? I'm sure that if she tried it she would have liked it. But she wouldn't even bring it near her lips. She loves rice but no matter how many times I told her it was rice, she wouldn't give it a try. Last summer, I introduced red beets to Caroline on several different occasions and she held hard and fast to her rule - No red beets! Now that I think about it, maybe it was my persistence that turned her off the beets... I'll introduce the beets to her again later this week. And Geoff and I will enjoy the beet risotto leftovers in our lunch tomorrow.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, April 7: Breakfast - O's, pearsauce; Lunch - whole wheat rotini pasta, tomato meat sauce, banana, edamame; Snacks - whole milk plain yogurt, blueberries

Childcare Center Menu, April 7: Breakfast - white grape juice, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Life; Lunch - baked mostaciolli, mixed vegetables, bananas; Snacks - lemon pudding, graham crackers

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)