Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Lentil Croquettes

I just got back from the American Public Health Association conference in D.C. The conference was great and I learned a lot about current health threats to our society. The most interesting was MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), a drug-resistant staph bacteria carried by hogs that I will write about another day. I talked with Geoff when I was at Washington National Airport - I refuse to call it Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport - and he told me that Caroline's teacher called him at work today. That's usually a bad sign. She has been biting lately so I immediately thought that was what prompted Krystyna to call. But it turns out that she just wanted to let Geoff know how good her lunch was today! On Sunday, I made lentil croquettes for Geoff to fry for Caroline's lunch today as a substitute for chicken nuggets (we're one day behind in posting the menu). He must have done a good job frying them up because Krystyna, the assistant teacher and one of the student aides all took a bite of Caroline's lunch today and all three of them liked the croquettes! Thanks, Geoff for standing-in for me! The recipe is from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone, one of my all-time favorite cookbooks. The recipe was a bit labor-intensive but I froze half of it so that the next time chicken nuggets are featured on the childcare center menu, I can just make the patties, and bread and fry them.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, November 8: Breakfast - oatmeal, applesauce; Lunch - egg salad, 100% whole grain bread, mixed vegetables (frozen, Cascadian Farm); Snacks - whole wheat graham crackers, plain yogurt

Childcare Center Menu, November 8: Breakfast - cream of wheat, bananas, raisins; Lunch - egg salad, cucumber, oranges; Snacks - pumpkin dip, wheat crackers

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, November 7: Breakfast 100% whole grain toast, apple butter; Lunch - lentil croquettes, hard-boiled egg, farmer cheese, Butternut squash; Snacks - cheddar cheese, Ak-Mak crackers

Childcare Center Menu, November 7: Breakfast - peaches, french toast, syrup; Lunch - chicken nuggets, carrot sticks, honeydew, bread, ketchup; Snacks - cheese, saltine crackers

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)