Thursday, November 8, 2007

Chard and Garbanzo Beans

Lentils and Mexican rice is on the menu tomorrow. This is the second time lentils is on the menu this week. I must say that I am surprised since a lentil dish has not been on the menu once since Caroline transitioned to the toddler room (September). I love lentils but since I don't have any on hand, I am going to pack Caroline one of our favorite dishes for her lunch tomorrow: rice with chard and Garbanzo beans. This is a versatile dish that is easy to prepare. It calls for just five ingredients - chard, onion, olive oil, water or broth, Garbanzo beans, salt. First, I dice a small onion and the chard stems. I saute the onions and chard stems in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil on low-medium heat until the onion it is soft and translucent. I then tear the chard leaves into bite size pieces and add it to the onions and chard stems along with enough water or broth so that the chard and onions don't stick to the bottom of the pan and cover the pan with a lid. When the chard leaves are melt-in-your-mouth soft (about 15 minutes or so), I add a couple cups of Garbanzo beans and salt to taste. This recipe is great over brown rice.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, November 9: Breakfast - pumpkin muffin, applesauce; Lunch - brown rice with chard and Garbanzo beans, sweet potatoes; Snacks - blueberries (frozen from Walton Orchards), whole wheat graham crackers

Childcare Center Menu, November 9: Breakfast - blueberry muffin, applesauce; Lunch - lentils, mixed vegetables, orange slices, Mexican rice; Snacks - salsa, taco shells

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)