Tuesday, October 23, 2007

It's Apple Season!

Eating close to home when you live in Michigan means that from late fall through early spring, fresh fruit is limited to apples. When they are in season, I eat at least an apple a day. I eat them whole, sliced and tossed into salads, and pureed into applesauce. And I dice them and put them in muffins, pancakes, and other baked goods. Farmers in Michigan grown more than twenty different varieties of apples. Each apple has a distinct flavor, texture, and color. My favorite apple is the Honeycrisp - a super sweet, juicy, crisp variety that can last for months in the refrigerator. I love the Goldrush apple, too - a crisp, tart apple that is yellow with an golden orange smear. Organic apples are hard to come by in Michigan (especially the Goldrush apple) but I have found two excellent sources: Almar Orchards and Appleschram Organic Orchard.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, October 24: Breakfast - oatmeal, applesauce; Lunch - whole wheat elbow pasta, tomato and meat sauce, carrots, green beans and corn (frozen from Titus Farm); Snacks - plain yogurt, blueberries (frozen from Walton Orchards)

Childcare Center Menu, October 24: Breakfast - cream of wheat, raisins, bananas; Lunch - macaroni, turkey spaghetti sauce, zucchini, kiwi; Snacks - veggies, sour cream dip

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Betty,

Honeycrisp are my favorite apples too! Hope to see you soon. I am back in MI now.
Lori

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)