Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Avocados?

As far as I know, avocados don't grow in Michigan or anywhere else in the Midwest. Advocados are a subtropical fruit and typically grow in climates without frost and with little wind. But it turns out that Garden Fresh Gourmet, a company in Ferndale, MI, makes guacamole. And it is delicious. In addition to sourcing food grown/raised as close to home as possible, I try to support local businesses whenever I can. Every food that I pack for Caroline will not be grown/raised in Michigan and sometimes it will be from another country or continent. And I'm okay with that. What is most important to me is that I make intentional and informed decisions about what I feed my family. Avocados are packed with nutrients (high in monounsaturated fats, potassium, B-vitamins, vitamins K and E) and makes a healthy dip or "dressing" for beans and vegetables. Tacos are on the menu tomorrow. I'll skip the shell but I'll include guacamole in Caroline's lunch.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, October 10: Breakfast - oatmeal, peaches (canned last summer); rice, black beans, mozzarella cheese, mixed variety of summer squashes, Asian pear; Snacks - boiled egg, Ak-Mak crackers

Childcare Center Menu, October 10: Breakfast - cream of wheat, bananas, raisins; Lunch - veggie tacos with lettuce, refried beans and cheese, apples; Snacks - boiled egg, bagel

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)