Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Soda Bread Disaster

I'm having one of those days where I drop everything my fingers touch. I made Deborah Madison's soda bread for dinner tonight and pulling it together was an absolute disaster. I made buttermilk (1 cup whole milk plus 1 tablespoon of white vinegar) and after it finished curdling, I picked it up and promptly spilled it all over the stove...and my beloved cookbook. After I wiped up that spill, I tried to cut the butter into the dry ingredients but since I forgot to pull the butter out of the freezer in time to thaw out, the center of it was still frozen and the flour went flying. I was supposed to stir the honey into the buttermilk (my second attempt to make the buttermilk) but the honey was too firm and the more I stirred, the more buttermilk splattered and spilled. When I mixed the wet and dry ingredients together, I could tell that something was wrong...the batter had the runny, lumpy consistency of muffin mix...and I was supposed to knead this for one minute until smooth?! I finally ended up placing a big lump of dough on my cookie sheet. It browned in 20 minutes instead of 30 and looked like a porcupine...We had it for dinner tonight along with lentil soup and thankfully, it tasted okay and Caroline (and Geoff) didn't seem to care.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, March 20: Breakfast - pearsauce, soda bread; Lunch - lentil soup, tofu, mixed vegetables; Snacks - Queen's Lace peaches (frozen last summer), whole wheat soda crackers, sunflower butter

Childcare Center Menu, March 20: Breakfast - applesauce, raisin bread; Lunch - ghoulash with turkey, honeydew, California vegetables; Snacks - watermelon, Ritz crackers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sort of laughed when I read your post and then checked the day--I can't cook on Wednesdays. I don't know what it is--sometimes I forget and start a meal and I'm all thumbs. Your description of your evening is almost exactly how my Wednesdays go. I usually cook every night with no problems, but last semester we just started ordering in on Wednesdays (tonight we are having leftover Creswick Farms pork on Zingerman's pepper parmesan bread for sandwiches)--which we started after I sliced my finger on a Wednesday and the three of us had to go to the hospital!

Betty said...

Creswick Farms pork on Zingerman's bread...sounds fabulous! Coincidentally, I just sliced my finger too...while cutting onions. I didn't have to go to the hospital but I did go to Olin first thing on Monday morning. My left thumb now has a little dent in it!

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)