Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spring is Almost Here!

For me, March and April are the hardest months to survive the Midwest. By this time of year, I am in desperate need to take a vacation in some warm place and without a good selection of fresh fruits and vegetables, I am generally tired of trying to eat as close to home as possible. But it's also the time of year when I feel excited about what is to come. Saturday was a beautiful day. I took Caroline for a walk in the woods and we found buds on the shrubs - yes buds! And lots of them. Spring seems like it is finally just around the corner...and with it will come early Michigan crops like spinach and other greens...and before I know it (around the early part of May) two of my favorite foods will be available at the farmers' market and grocery stores: asparagus and strawberries!

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, March 31: Breakfast - O's, Pink Lady apple; Lunch - brown rice with lentils and dried apricots, cabbage and Ida Red apple salad, banana; Snacks - 100% whole grain bread, apple butter

Childcare Center Menu, March 31: Breakfast - orange juice, Cheerios, Golden Grahams, Rice Krispies; Lunch - cheesy rice, bananas, salad; Snacks - breadsticks

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)