Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Broccoli Pesto

Caroline loves pesto and broccoli so tonight I combined the two and made broccoli pesto and served it with whole wheat pasta. First, I cooked about a pound of broccoli crowns by putting it in boiling water for 3 minutes. I put the crowns in my food processor along with a few stems of basil, a clove of garlic, and a couple tablespoons of toasted pine nuts. I turned on the food processor and slowly poured in olive oil until it made a thick paste. I added a large handful of shredded Parmesan cheese, stirred, and then added boiling water until it reached a nice smooth consistency. The color was lovely - pistachio green with specks of emerald. Caroline loved this combination. I have to admit that Geoff and I were only lukewarm on this dish. Geoff pretended to like it but he didn't take seconds which is always my clue that a new recipe didn't make it to his favorites list. The flavor was good but I didn't like the texture. Adding more water might have helped. But since Caroline enjoyed this dish so much and since it is packed with nutrients, I'll probably make it again (with some adjustments).

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, October 4: Breakfast - oatmeal, red raspberries; Lunch - whole wheat pasta with broccoli pesto, mixed varieties of cherry tomatoes, Muenster cheese, zucchini; Snacks - watermelon, cornmeal pumpkin bread made by our neighbor, Wynne

Childcare Center Menu, October 4: Breakfast - oatmeal, raisins, bananas; Lunch - mostaciolli, cheese, spaghetti sauce, California vegetables, cantaloupe; Snacks - pumpkin bread, cucumber

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)