Monday, September 17, 2007

Tomato Soup

Caroline finally ate cooked tomatoes! Tomato soup is on the menu for tomorrow so I made tomato soup for dinner tonight. I was sure that Caroline wouldn't even try it but I made it anyways. The recipe is from my friend Julie who lives in Portland, Oregon. When my husband Geoff and I moved to Michigan three years ago, Julie gave me a packet of tomato seeds and the recipe as a gift. To make the soup, I chopped about 5 medium-size tomatoes and put them in a pot with 5 leaves of basil and 1 clove of minced garlic. I simmered the tomatoes over medium-low heat until they were very soft and then processed them in my Cuisinart mini-prep until smooth. I finished the soup by adding a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar and a pinch of salt. At first, Caroline was not interested in the soup. But half way through dinner, I think she decided that she wanted to use her spoon and that using her spoon meant that she would have to drink her soup. I helped her put soup on her spoon and let her bring it to her mouth. She was so proud every time she licked her spoon clean! I am still looking for a stainless steel thermos that I can use to pack Caroline soups and other hot foods. For tomorrow, I will have to pack her soup in a small Mason jar and ask the cook to warm it up for her. Note to self: Buy stainless steel thermos this weekend!

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, September 18: Breakfast - red raspberries, O's; Lunch - Julie's tomato soup, cheddar cheese, 100% whole grain bread, carrots, Concord grapes (from Wilson's Farm); Snacks - cantaloupe

Childcare Center Menu, September 18: Breakfast - applesauce, croissants, jam; Lunch -grilled cheese, tomato soup, grapes, carrot sticks; Snacks - veggies, sour cream dip

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)