Monday, September 3, 2007

Take 3 - Roasted Beets

After a long weekend away and no time to go to the grocery store tonight, my options for Caroline's lunch tomorrow are limited to what I have on hand. And what I have in the freezer. Since I don't know what's on the childcare center menu tomorrow, I have a bit more flexibility. Twice last week, I put roasted Chioggia beets in Caroline's lunch. Chioggia beets have pink and white stripes and taste sweet when roasted. I thought that Caroline would like them but she hardly touched them. And when she did, they ended up on the floor. Unfortunately for Caroline, I have red beets, leftover from last week's farmers' market, in the fridge. Before I go to bed tonight, I will scrub them, toss them in a pan with a splash of water, cover them with foil, roast them at 450 F for 30 minutes and pack them for her lunch tomorrow. It seems like a waste to pack something that I know ended up in the garbage last week. But I also know that it can take up to twenty times of introducing a new food before a child (or an adult for that matter) will taste it. So, I will try again with roasted beets tomorrow. And maybe Tuesday, too.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, September 3: Breakfast - O's, AppleSchram Organic Orchard applesauce; Lunch - white beans, cucumbers, roasted beets, Early Girl tomato, 100% whole grain toast; Snacks - blueberries (from Walton Orchards and frozen)

1 comment:

geoff said...

Just want to say that Betty is an awesome mother and wife. Caroline is not the only one who eats well in this house, thanks to Betty's attention to food. And Chioggia beets? Nothing better, especially tossed with a little vinegar.

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)