Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Homemade Pizza Dough or English Muffins?

Last night, Caroline and I made pizza for dinner. We made a whole wheat crust using my standby pizza dough recipe (makes two pizza crusts) and topped it with mozzarella cheese, a huge heirloom tomato we bought from Rebecca Titus last Saturday and chopped basil from our garden. On one half of the pizza - the half that Geoff and I ate - we also added minced garlic and freshly ground black pepper. The tomato was so sweet! Caroline surprised me when she said (or mimicked), "Oh my gosh, this tomato is soooo sweet." Instead of using all of dough for dinner last night, I used half. After kneading the dough (and before letting it rise), I divided the other half into four balls. I placed them on a cutting board and put the entire board in our deep freezer. When they were firm, I put them into a Ziplock bag and back into the freezer. Pizza is on the menu tomorrow. In the past, I've always used whole wheat English muffins as my pizza crust...but they don't even come close to tasting like a pizza. So tonight, I pulled out one of the frozen pizza crusts and put it into the refrigerator to thaw. Tomorrow morning, I will put it in a warm place (like my oven, turned off) to rise until it doubles in size. It will probably take about an hour and a half to double in size. And once it does, I will make a couple of mini pizzas for Caroline's lunch. Altogether it should take...two hours. What??! That means that I have to wake up at some crazy hour just to make @$#@%!$ homemade pizza for Caroline's lunch. Maybe I should have stuck with the English muffins.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, September 11: Breakfast - cantaloupe (farmer), 100% whole grain toast, sunflower butter; Lunch - pizza with heirloom tomatoes (Owosso Organics), zucchini (Owosso Organics), apple (Clearview Orchards); Snacks - hummus, whole grain crackers

Childcare Center Menu, September 11: Breakfast - cantaloupe, French bread, strawberry jam; Lunch - cheese pizza, carrots, apples, Snacks - hummus, pita bread

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)