Saturday, August 25, 2007

Green Zebra and Tigger

Yesterday morning we went to the Meridian Township Farmers' Market as we always do on Saturdays. But instead of buying impulsively (which I'm known to do at a farmers' market), I had my eye on fruits and vegetables that I could pack for Caroline's meals and snacks for the week. I chose cucumbers, potatoes, green beans, corn, beets, carrots and a variety of heirloom tomatoes and melons. When we first introduced tomatoes and melons to Caroline, she broke out in a rash around her lips. Since that was about a month ago, I thought it was time to try again. When they are available, I buy heirloom fruits and vegetables. Seed Savers Exchange defines heirlooms as "any garden plant that has a history of being passed down within a family." Buying heirloom fruits and vegetables helps to preserve the genetic diversity of our food. Unlike the uniform and often bland fruits and vegetables found at most large grocery stores, heirloom varieties each have a distinct flavor and appearance that has evolved over generations. Caroline loves the different shapes, colors, textures, and names of the heirloom tomatoes and melons that we bought. She tried them tonight and loved them. And she didn't break out in a rash! I'll pack the Tigger melon and the Green Zebra and Garden Peach tomatoes for her lunch tomorrow.

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, August 27: Breakfast - O's, milk, blueberries (bought from Walton Orchards and frozen); Lunch - Green Zebra and Garden Peach tomatoes, Eden Organic vegetable spirals pasta, fresh mozzarella cheese, steamed green beans; Snacks - Tigger melon, graham crackers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just added this excellent blog to my favorites! Even though it makes me feel inadequate as a mother :) I can't wait to hear how this goes, Betty. Love, Kirsten

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)