Friday, January 23, 2009

California Sunshine!

As soon as I saw the return label on the package that said, "Ray's Organic Grove," I opened the box as quickly as I could. Inside, under a protective layer of foam was 13 lbs of beautiful, sweet smelling Meyer lemons. Uncle Ray and Aunt Pat live in Modesto, California. They live in a modest, unassuming house on a quiet street just off the main road that cuts through the city of Modesto. From the front, the house looks similar to the others on the block. But in the backyard is a small but productive orchard that Uncle Ray has tended for years. Uncle Ray grows the lemons (and he grows them well) and I'm sure that it was Aunt Pat who carefully placed them in the box and sent them to us via FedEx. I love Meyer lemons. They have wonderful flavorful that I can only describe as intensely lemon-y. I rarely see them in grocery stores out here and when I do, they are too expensive for our budget. It's not the first time Uncle Ray and Aunt Pat have sent us this box of California sunshine. But I never take this special treat for granted and use as much of each lemon as I can. So, what am I going to do with 13 lbs of lemons? I will make cakes (of course) and other lemon-y baked goods. That will use up a couple of pounds. The rest? I'll freeze the rind and juice separately in small containers so that I will have them on hand the next time a recipe calls for a tablespoon of lemon juice or a teaspoon of lemon rind.

1 comment:

cat said...

what a wonderful box to receive in michigan, in february! i can only imagine the joy in opening such a box.

my boys love this "Spaghetti with Broccoli and Lemon" recipe, a mainstay in our home. caroline might like it, as well...

http://food.realsimple.com/realsimple/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1827584

(the boys also love making "one lemon's worth" of lemonade, just for fun. it can bring a bit of summer to these long and dreary days of winter.)

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)