Sunday, January 13, 2008

Banking on Bittman

This past Christmas, I gave Geoff How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. Geoff likes to cook (sort of) and wants to take over some of the cooking in 2008 - at least that's what he told me. So, I bought him How to Cook Everything (or, maybe I really bought it for myself and disguised it as a gift for Geoff) hoping that Bittman could turn Geoff into a chef of sorts. So far, it seems to be working. This weekend, Geoff used the book to plan menus and even made a white bean soup with ham hocks. And I made savoy cabbage and apples and brown rice with lentils and dried apricots. Yum!

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, January 13: Breakfast - O's, grapefruit; Lunch - savoy cabbage and apples, brown rice with lentils and dried apricots, mixed vegetables (frozen, Cascadian Farms); Snacks - whole wheat blueberry pancakes

Childcare Center Menu, January 13: Breakfast - orange juice, Cheerios, Life, Rice Krispies; Lunch - cheesy rice with brown rice, California blend vegetables, bananas; Snacks - apples, soynut butter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are my food muse. I bought Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone this weekend and can't wait to try the lentil croquettes you mentioned in past posts. Now I might have to get Bittman's book too, or would you just send me the recipe for brown rice with lentils and dried apricots? Sounds great.

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)