Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pesto Please!

Tomorrow's lunch entree is spaghetti with turkey sauce. I guess I could make spaghetti with turkey sauce using whole wheat spaghetti and organic turkey sauce. But I don't have time to make turkey sauce. Yes, food grown and raised organically is important to me. But equally as important is eating closer to home. And I can't kill myself doing it. What could I make in a pinch that would take advantage of the local harvest? Pesto! I pulled out all of the basil (about 3 cups of leaves) in my fridge and processed it in my Cuisinart mini-prep (which I love and highly recommend for anyone who loves to cook or has a toddler) with one clove of garlic, pinenuts (about 3 tablespoons), a handful of grated Parmesan cheese, a pinch of salt and enough olive oil to make a smooth paste. I wasn't sure if Caroline would like it so I tested it out at dinner tonight by serving it tossed with whole wheat fusilli pasta. She loved it. Or, as my friend Jon would say, she was "double-fisting it."

Caroline's Lunchbox Menu, August 29: Breakfast - Oatmeal, AppleSchram Organic Orchard applesauce; Lunch - whole wheat pasta with pesto, white beans, Early Girl tomato, steamed corn, Vienna melon; Snacks - Ryvita crackers, blueberries (from Walton Orchards and frozen)

Childcare Center Menu, August 29: Breakfast - Applesauce, corn muffins; Lunch spaghetti with turkey sauce, corn, beans, honeydew; Snacks - Ritz crackers and grapes

No comments:

 
Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)